Thursday, December 5, 2013

Scoop: 'The Flash' Casting Call Makes Change To Major Character

"If you're thinking about my baby, it don't matter if you're black or white."

NOTICE: By dropping this information, I mean absolutely no disrespect to The CW, Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns, Greg Berlanti, David Rapaport, Grant Gustin and everyone else involved with the production of The Flash. I merely posted it as a fan and as a way to inform the fans and get some buzz generated. I absolutely have no intention of ruining secrecy. If Warner Bros or The CW prefer that the information be kept secret, please email me with a takedown notice.

I'm back, true believers with another scoop. This time, however, we're taking focus at a new DC Comics show; The Flash. In case you didn't know, we previously scooped an Ant-Man casting call, as well as character descriptions for Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D's 11th episode. Now, our same source has come through with some interesting tidbits about The Flash that is sure to cause a ruckus, but let's first start off with some backstory.

Casting Director David Rapaport sent out a tweet a few days back confirming that they had begun the search for Barry Allen's supporting cast, confirming the show's title of The Flash. A day later, Rapaport would tweet out interesting images showcasing the character names of "Iris West" and "Detective West". Would you be interested to hear that we have those character descriptions? This post may not be up for long, so savor it, screenshot it, or just remember it. Unlike the Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D post, we're not going to post screenshots (due to some sensitive information about the production being contained) but these descriptions are completely legitimate.

The CW (or David Rapaport for that matter) is searching for African-American actors and actresses for these two roles. Does this anger you? It shouldn't. In my opinion, Iris West has nothing about her in the comic books that is defined by her race. A reporter (even though she isn't; more soon) can easily be of any race in this era. Furthermore, the descriptions confirm Detective West as the father to Iris; we should probably expect a Laurel-Quentin dynamic on The Flash. In addition to the race change, Iris is described as "22-28" and "As smart as she is beautiful, Iris is in grad school studying psychology" seemingly no longer making her a reporter. Finally, we can confirm that both Iris and Detective West will feature as series regulars on The Flash, currently scheduled for a March 2014 shoot. Check below for official character descriptions.
IRIS - 22-28 - African-American - As smart as she is beautiful, Iris is in grad school studying psychology. She's also Barry's mile a minute, fast-talking, quick-witted best friend. Her father, Detective West, took in Barry when his mother was murdered, and his father was wrongly accused and imprisoned for her murder. In a tough childhood for Barry, she was the one "not tough" thing. She's unaware of Barry's strong feelings for her.

DETECTIVE WEST - Late 40s to Early 50s - African American -Detective West is an honest, blue-collar cop who's seen it all. A soulful, funny caring father to Iris, and a surrogate father to Barry, West came up through the foster system himself. He took in Barry after his mother's murder and his father's imprisonment. He believes in Barry and supports Barry's efforts to prove his father's innocence.

Fantasy casting for Detective West would probably be D.B Woodside (Parenthood, Emily Owens M.D), Blair Underwood (Ironside) and David Harewood (Homeland, Doctor Who). Some interesting choices for Iris West could be Katerina Graham (The Vampire Diaries), AeriĆ©l Miranda (Pretty Little Liars) and Logan Browning (Hit The Floor; Pair Of Kings).

So there you have it! Lengthy character descriptions about two of Barry Allen's supporting cast regulars. Beyond these two, I have no other information on other characters who may appear in the pilot, however I will definitely keep an eye out.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me heaps excited for the pilot but kind of upset because if Wally West ever comes in (and I'm praying he does) it'll mean he'll be African American too - and I don't think I could deal with the loss of red hair and freckles on my fave hero! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't really like the changes they make to our originals, but having to get used to them. Don't be worried about Wally, i have seen many black or mixed black children with red hair too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well originally they were black in the comics later on they became white.And don't forget this is a different age guys they trying to bring in more of a diverse audience. I mean look at it in this manner, if every super hero and sidekick end up being white. How would you think the rest of the world going to be thinking of the black americans here in the real world?
    I worked for this resturant and the co-workers was talking about black people based on what they had seen in comic books. And they thought less of us because we appear in comics as bad guys or we're just not noticed in them.
    So, I think this would be a remarkable look in the comic book universe and in the real world all we need now is Cyborg or Icon with they're own show.

    ReplyDelete